THE PROJECT: Pouring concrete for a high rise building
High rise concrete construction requires a specialized process and equipment setup. To pour
concrete decks for each floor of a high rise building, a high-pressure concrete trailer pump is positioned on the ground. The trailer pump feeds the concrete through a pipe that goes up through the center of the building to a placing boom at the top level.
The equipment: Putzmeister BSA 14000 HPD concrete trailer pump and Putzmeister MX 3236 placing boom
For this concrete building project, the contractor chose a high-pressure Putzmeister concrete trailer pump. This model provided the high pressure needed to pump the concrete to the top level of the building while still delivering a high hourly output. They also used a Putzmeister placing boom with 370 degree swing and enough reach to cover the entire deck.
The high rise construction process
Here are the basic steps for a high rise concrete pumping project:
- Position a high-pressure trailer-mounted concrete pump on the ground.
- Position a placing boom and pipeline on a self-climbing tower that can be raised up to build new levels.
- Pump concrete through the pipeline to the placing boom at the top.
- Pour the concrete deck for each level of the high rise, making sure to position the tower and placing boom correctly so you can complete each deck in a single pour (see the tip below).
- After completing two decks, jack up the tower and placing boom to the next level, and add more pipe at the bottom of the tower.
How to save time on your high rise concrete pumping job
There’s typically only one ladder for workers to get down off the deck. Because of the way the placing boom swings, it’s important to properly position the pedestal heading and the placing boom so you can do the pour in a circular pattern that ends at the ladder. If you set up in the wrong place, you could end up having to move the equipment and pour twice.
When you buy or rent equipment from Alexander Wagner Co, we can help you work out exactly how to set up and position equipment for the most efficient pour.
Here at Alexander Wagner Company, we have been providing concrete pumping equipment, supplies and service to contractors in the New York metro area for decades. We’re happy to answer your questions and share our expertise. Feel free to reach out to us anytime!